- History and function of this entity
- Controlling Entities
- Subordinate Entities
- Archival records series created by this entity
Name |
Osnaburgh House |
Dates of Existence |
1786-1962, 1963-1981 |
Function |
Osnaburgh House functioned as a fur trade post. |
Administrative History |
Osnaburgh House, first known as Memenescua Lake, was established on Osnaburgh Lake in the summer of 1785 by John Best to counter the presence of the North West Company at Lake Nipigon. In 1786, it became known as Pashicocoggan. In the 1790s, outposts were established at Red Paint Lake (later called Red Lake), Cat Lake, Sandy Lake and Fly Lake. The Hudson's Bay Company did not plan for Osnaburgh House to be a permanent fur trade post for fear that it would interfere with the trade at Gloucester House. Due to good business, however, the Governor and Committee recommended in 1793 that the post be rebuilt and enlarged. Beginning ca. 1804, Osnaburgh House built HBC boats that were sent to York Factory. In 1814, Osnaburgh House became a subdistrict in the Albany Inland District in the Southern Department. After the HBC's amalgamation with the North West Company in 1821 and its subsequent administrative reorganization, Osnaburgh House fell under the Albany River District. That same year, the post was moved to a different site on the lake with a better supply of fish and firewood. In 1822, it was moved back to its old site. Outposts at Moose Lake and Crows Nest Lake were also established at this time. In the twentieth century, Osnaburgh House was administered by a number of different districts: the Lake Superior District (1901-1927), Superior-Huron District (1927-1938), James Bay District (1938-1944), and Northern Ontario District (1944-1981). In the 1930s, the discovery of gold in the nearby Pickle Crow area meant the location of Osnaburgh House lost importance. At the same time, the post began to function as a distribution centre to supply posts to its north. From 1932 to 1947, Pickle Lake served as an outpost. In 1946, the HBC's Air Transport Division started flying supplies out of Osnaburgh House to places such as Cat Lake, Round Lake, Big Beaver House, Lansdowne House, Trout Lake and Bearskin Lake. The Air Transport Division moved out of Osnaburgh House in 1954 when a provincial highway was built from Savant Lake to Pickle Lake, bi-passing Osnaburgh House by four miles. After this, the post's importance greatly diminished and, as a result, a good portion of its residents moved to Pickle Crow. Osnaburgh House closed in 1962, only to be reopened at a new site the next year under the name New Osnaburgh. The post fell under the administration of the Northern Stores Department from 1959 to 1981, at which time the store was closed. |
Other names |
Memenescua Lake (1785-1786) Pashicocoggan Piscokokogon Pascocoggan Osnaburgh Osnaburgh Post Osnaburg New Osnaburgh (1963-1981) |
Key People |
Click here for a list of Key People involved with this Entity |
Click here for a list of entities that reported directly to
Osnaburgh House
Osnaburgh House correspondence books
Osnaburgh House inward correspondence
Osnaburgh House and Osnaburgh District reports
Osnaburgh House records of Aboriginal hunters
Osnaburgh House bills of lading
Osnaburgh House lists of furs
Osnaburgh House indents
Osnaburgh House inventories
Osnaburgh House men's accounts
Osnaburgh House miscellaneous records
Osnaburgh House packet lists
Osnaburgh House packing accounts
Osnaburgh House stock books
Osnaburgh House accounts
Osnaburgh House post journals


