Corporate Name Authority Help
Winnipeg Construction Association Share Link

Biographical Sketch or Administrative History 

The Winnipeg Construction Association was founded as the Winnipeg Builders Exchange in 1904 to represent individuals and firms involved in all aspects of the building trades. The primary purposes of the association are to aid the exchange of construction information and plans, and to facilitate the tendering process. When the Exchange was incorporated in 1910 it had 400 members and was the largest exchange in North America. The name of the organization was changed to the Winnipeg Construction Association in 1978 to better reflect its broader role in the construction industry. Membership includes every building, construction and relevant professional group, from general contractors, trades such as electrical and plumbing, suppliers of construction materials, to architects and engineers.

The Winnipeg Builders Exchange was one of the main promoters for the development of hydro-electric power on the Winnipeg River, and campaigned to have it brought to Winnipeg under public ownership. The Exchange was also responsible for the introduction of the bid depository system in 1956. The Winnipeg Construction Association has been involved in educational and business activities for members such as the establishment of apprenticeship training programmes and the creation of the first comprehensive safety program for Manitoba's construction industry. In addition to co-ordinating a variety of building and construction information, the association has contributed to government legislation by advising on such subjects as the Fair Wage Act, the Workmen's Compensation Act, the Lien Act and all phases of labour legislation.

As of 2018 the Winnipeg Construction Association is still operating, with offices located at 1447 Waverley Street in Winnipeg.

[Top]


Archival records linked to this creator

12968

Winnipeg Construction Association fonds

[Top]

 

Keyword Search | Advanced Search